Pumpkin pie is a must
Along with cobwebs and dust
With lanterns alight, bowls of sweets you cannot eat.
Children come, their faces aglow
Doorbells ring, sweets to go
Painted witches, ghosts and ghouls
Could be your nightmare has come to call.
Strange entities look back at you
Or has your mother-in-law arrived at last?
Doorbell rings, don’t let them in
They’re not just children, disguised within.
A night when ghosts roam the land
Who can tell what stands without?
Is it sweets they want, or your soul to take?
Don’t let them in, blow your lantern out…
When Anita wrote this stunning Halloween poem, I just knew I had to do something special with it. When I read it aloud, it sounded so dramatic and creepy, the idea of creating a video trailer with it seemed a really good idea.
Now, I have made a few trailers in my time, but I am not an expert by any means. Most of the ones I made for our books are pretty basic, as understanding all the complicated instructions sometimes had me running screaming from the building!
So, knowing how much fun I have had in the past, I really threw myself a curve ball by wanting to make this video more stunningly complicated than anything I tried before, with moving images, spooky music and narration.
This is how I have achieved some really wonderful things in my life. I get an idea, and in no time at all, I can see the finished item in my head and I will move Heaven and high water to bring whatever it is, to life. This is what was happening right then with my idea for a trailer.
I discovered that Pixaby.com has free video clips, so I collected a good selection of suitably dark and spooky ones. Then I visited YouTube and their audio library. I found some very similar music to the Halloween film. My dream was taking shape!
With my first trailer efforts, I used Movie Maker and as my teachers used to say, “Could do better!” So I knew there was nothing else for it, I would have to learn how to master the finer points if I hoped to create a masterpiece.
I watched so many tutorials on YouTube and wrote copious amounts of notes and bit by bit, I learned the basics.
This was a month ago. I knew I needed time to practice, as nothing happens in much of a hurry around here, but wasn’t prepared for just how long it would take. Time and again, I tried to get it right and time and again I failed miserably.
Trouble was, it didn’t look that hard. But, and this is what always happens to me and anything to do with technology, it never quite seems to work for me. I get lots of nearly’s and almost’s, but like most people, this would never be good enough for me.
I learned how to shorten the clips and move them about. I added a title page and one for the credits at the end. I had my music and knew what to do with it. All that was left to do was plug in my microphone and narrate the poem.
This took several attempts as something kept stopping my voice from registering. Much later, I managed it, but when I played it back, parts of my voice were missing.
I was on the verge of pulling my hair out by then, so I closed everything down and walked away. This procedure seemed to go on for days and I was no nearer perfection than I was at the beginning.
I don’t compromise easily, but in desperation, I tried Photo Story. This system only allows static images, not exactly what I wanted, but I tried anyway.
I also tried Movie Maker again, but the result was the same.
My dream was fading.
In the end, I conceded a temporary defeat and posted the poem on our blog.
My determination has not dimmed though. I will keep trying to conquer Movie Maker or something similar, and future trailers will be better, and you can take that to the Bank!