‘You’re late, where have you been?’
‘You’re twelve, I asked you to be in by nine…’
‘I’m your mother…’
‘I know that too…’
‘So where have you been?’
‘Just out, mum…’
‘Is there some strange universe out there that you can’t speak about?’
‘No, mum. I’m just having fun. Why must I tell you everything?’
‘I need to know you’re safe…’
‘I am, mum. There’s nothing sinister going on. We just play music on the jukebox and I don’t want to be the first one to say I have to go home now. We like to walk home together, laughing about the boys.’
I hadn’t meant to say that last bit. Mum went quiet for a while. I guess she must be thinking about the boy thing I let slip out.
‘If I let you stay out until ten, I don’t expect you to take time and stretch it. No excuses, no being late, no telling me your watch stopped.’
Trying not to show my excitement, I said, Yes mum. Wondering why she had been so generous…
When will you love me as you did before?
When will I feel your arms reach for me across the bed to pull me close?
When will I feel your breath on the back of my neck?
When will I feel your kiss good morning, noon and night?
When will we fill that empty space between the sheets?
Tell me, most of all, that you love me again as you did before…
When knights of old
Crossed desert sands
Looking for what was lost.
Did they find the wooden cup?
Was it hidden in plain sight?
Where could fools not see?
Does it heal as legend tells
Or is it just a wooden cup?
Anita Dawes 2018
I have been trying to sort out my ever-growing collection of photographs as I am a bit of a hoarder; things have been getting out of hand lately. Actually finding what I’m looking for is proving to be not only impossible but downright frustrating, even though I know what I’m looking for is there somewhere.
I put my ultra-patient hat on and set to work, but soon realised that I might still be doing it this time next year, so I gave up. I would have to do a section at a time, fitting the time in as and when possible.
Fast forward to the following day, when I was looking for yet another image on Pixabay.com. If you have ever used this site, you will know that you have to enter your requirement in their search box and with one click, they give you pages of exactly what you are looking for.
I realised that this same system is in operation on many other sites too. There are search boxes everywhere, and this got me thinking. Why can’t we have a search box on our own image files?
Just think, instead of scrolling endlessly through dozens of folders and hundreds of images, you could just enter the relevant word and hey presto, no more frustration!
I just know that round about now, someone is going to tell me that there is already such a system. So, why don’t I know about it, and who is going to tell me how to get it?
2. “It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”
3. “Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.”
4. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”
5. “Get busy living or get busy dying.”
6. “My advice is, never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.”
7. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
8. “Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth” –
9. “I am haunted by humans” – “I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” –
10. “I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.”
And as it’s the last day of the Tour, we thought we should finish with champagne…