The Wyrm and the Wyrd: Natural authority

Sue Vincent's Daily Echo

Portmeirion, the guide told us, was the brainchild of the architect and conservationist, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis. The project had been a long time in hatching… once the idea had been conceived, he waited twenty years in order the purchase the little bay where the village now stands. Building began in 1925 and  continued until 1972.  All that was well and good, but told us little beyond the bare facts.

It was when the guide moved on that things began to fall into place. Many of the building materials… even some of the buildings themselves… had been rescued and recycled from estates and locations around the country, to save them from demolition and destruction. The gilded Buddha had come from the film set of Inn of the Sixth Happiness. A cherub had been left on the doorstep… the facade of a portico was once a fireplace… That explained the bizarre…

View original post 480 more words

One thought on “The Wyrm and the Wyrd: Natural authority

Comments are closed.