Subtle changes have slowly made themselves known during the last few days. The haze of pain and frustration has thinned, just enough for me to see a dim light at the end of the tunnel.
At first, I thought it had to be my imagination. I had been in pain for so long; I couldn’t believe it might be leaving me at last.
Blood tests have confirmed that my kidney infection has finally gone, but the jury is still out as to whether it had anything to do with my back. I am just grateful that the dreadful pain seems to be dying a natural death, and I can return to normal.
Which means cooking will be resumed, (huge sigh of relief from family) along with some light housework (maybe) So many things have languished, waiting for me to take up my bed and walk!
For me, the worst aspect of all of this is that no writing has been done in the last three weeks. The WIP has gathered dust, and the plot seems to have dissolved, melted away somewhere.
I tried not to let this state of affairs get me down; after all, my brain was better than that, wasn’t it? At least I sincerely hoped it was.
Then, completely unexpectedly, my muse tapped me on the shoulder, eager to get back to work. She even had some good points to include and brilliant ones at that, so I am eager to get back to work!
I always write first thing in the mornings and that is when the back is weakest, and although it will feel strange at first, I am looking forward to it!
With this newfound confidence and mind-set, I turned my attention to something I have long wanted to do and had been thinking about for a while. I have been making do with flat images of our book covers, but always wanted to learn how to make 3D images. You know, where the books actually look like books.
I had seen a website that assured me that not only was it easy to do (yeah, right!) but they could walk me through the system in no time at all.
Well, I didn’t need any more encouragement than that, did I?
To cut a very long story short, (it took two days ) but, determined as ever (and it felt good to feel like that again) I persevered, with several screens open in front of me, and earphones plugged in to constantly recap the instructions, I finally managed to create nine beautiful book images.
And here is one I made earlier…
I used Pixlr, Gimp, and this amazing video on YouTube, I could try to explain what I did, but to be honest; the lovely fellow on the video will do it much better than I ever could.
All I can say is this. I am the biggest technophobe in the world and if I managed it, anyone can….
So, I am feeling pretty pleased with myself now, still a little uncomfortable, but very hopeful for a full recovery!
(and very grateful for all your good wishes…)